Monday, June 24, 2013

Coming out of the (prayer) closet

 Hello Friends!
Well, here goes.  

I wanted to start writing because the Lord is doing great things in me in the last several months and I want to share them with you.  The big news is that on March 30th, 2012, I was baptized and confirmed into the Catholic church.  As a former Protestant, I believe there are many misconceptions on either side.  My prayer is that when you read this blog some of those myths and misinformation is dispelled.

I'm sure the presumption is that I converted because of my husband, Fernando, who is a cradle Catholic. The truth is that I have had questions and experiences that have drawn me to the Catholic church long before Fernando was even a blink in my eye.  There was never any pressure whatsoever from my husband to become Catholic, it was truly the Lord Himself who drew me in.

When I started the RCIA* class at St. Theresa's in September, I had an old, dear friend challenge me - to let go of my own ideas and conceptions of what the Church was, and Who Christ is and commit myself totally to Christ Himself. If I was committed to Christ, rather than my own ideas of Who He is and what the Christian life is all about, I would surely find the Truth.  Being initiated into the Catholic Church is the result of that commitment.  I have found Christ, or rather, He has found me.

And that, my friends, is the beautiful secret
 that I can't hold inside anymore.

I can imagine my Protestant friends and family are inwardly protesting at this moment, but I want to assure you that I have not lost my faith, rejected it or even joined a cult!  In fact, I can tell you that never before in my adult life have I experienced the fullness of God and known the presence of our Lord more than at this moment in time.

I know that there are differences - in language, in approach, in methodology and even doctrine - but its still the same Lord Jesus Christ Who has redeemed us through His Passion, Death and Resurrection.

I look forward to sharing what the Lord is doing in my life and pray that you may encounter Him in a small way through what He puts on my heart, regardless of whether you are Catholic or Protestant.

May the Grace and Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you always.

*RCIA: Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults - basically a class about the Catholic faith that answers all the important questions and helps you discern whether or not you want to be baptized.  Let me know if you want to learn more about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment